Anyone who has worked in the food industry or is part of the business recognizes the need for safety management. Like all other industries and businesses, there is a standardization process for food safety. The businesses operating in the sector need to implement the norms and ensure getting certified by the certification body.
International standardization is an outcome-oriented certification that sets some crucial guidelines for better food safety. The ultimate motive of the standardization process is to uplift or enhance the safety level of the food to avoid hazardous impacts that causes health injuries to the consumers.
What is Food Safety Management System (FSMS) – ISO 22000?
The food safety management system contains a set of practical and simple guidelines for business operators in the food industry. The FSMS program aims at reducing and preventing the different hazardous ways of food-related health issues. The adverse impact on the health of a consumer caused by food can be life-threatening. The standardization and international regulations in the ISO 22000 help the companies abide by the standards of food safety.
Purpose of the program – The voluntary safety standardization program aligns with the GSP or good standardization practices and WTO principles for international standardization development principles. The ideal purpose of the program is to ensure optimal food safety to safeguard the health of the customer and the business operator’s reputation. It serves a dual purpose and brings a positive impact on the business in the industry.
An overview of ISO 22000
The ISO 22000 standardization program contains a few crucial elements that define the purpose and utility of the certification program. The crucial aspects of ISO 22000 include – Interactive communication, System management, Prerequisite programs, and HACCP principles.
- Interactive communication is the development of trust and credibility between the chain of food suppliers, distributors, and consumers. The food business owner may not have direct communication support with the above-mentioned entities. The ISO certification reflects the credibility of the products being distributed and consumed.
- System management, in this context, refers to the process through which the food business operators exhibit the credibility of the safety management set up in their business operations. There are principles in the system management process that the FBOs diligently follow to ensure the effectiveness of the guidelines.
- PRP or prerequisite programs are well-defined by ISO. It is a set of fundamental practices and activities that help ensure food chain safety management. The activities mentioned by the certification body are vital prerequisites to provide optimal quality in their products. It includes – Good manufacturing practices (GMP), Good agricultural practices (GAP), and Good hygienic practices (GHP). Thus, you can see that the defined actions and guidelines start from the grass root level to ensure the best safety for consumers.
- HACCP stands for hazard analysis and critical control points. It is a set of principles that food business operators must keep in mind. It is a crucial element to conduct the food hazard analysis and define the critical controlling pointers for the food business operators. The CCPs are nothing but steps that help in recognizing the food hazard possibilities. Every critical controlling pointer is valuable for the FBO.
Importance of a food safety management system
Foodborne diseases are of multiple types, and their adverse impacts on health can be life-threatening. If, more than two consumers suffer from similar health symptoms, the food can get a hazardous label. The authorities can conduct an investigation to review the matter. If the food business operator follows the guidelines of the food safety management system, the chances of landing into such troubles reduce. Thus, complying with the regulations and developing an efficient food safety management system is vital for all food business operators.
How does the food safety management system help a business?
By following well-defined practices, the business operator can control risks of health hazards. Businesses that are compliant with the regulations have an impeccable and trustworthy reputation. It helps businesses stay safe from authoritative troubles and litigation charges against food hazards.
Through a perfectly effective food safety management system the business can avoid mistakes. Making wrong purchase decisions, budget-controlling mistakes, contamination management systems, and other general mistakes can be conveniently avoided with the apt implementation of a food safety management system.
Benefits of ISO 22000 you must know.
- It is a preventive approach that all food business operators must consider. The ISO 22000 certification against the business reflects optimal trustworthiness. Besides the trust factor, the scope to improve the food safety management system gets better. Business operators can identify and execute improvement steps for better management.
- Did you know that having the ISO mark can reduce the cost? Yes, it decreases the cost of testing. You can control the testing frequency for quality checks and safety management. It exhibits the diligent approach of the business operators, making it less essential to conduct tests frequently.
- Among the many benefits of the ISO certification, customer satisfaction is a significant benefit. From better manufacturing to packaging, the ISO plays a role in every aspect, making it easier for consumers to rely on the consumables. They can trust the brand and consume the products with ultimate safety satisfaction in mind!
- Lastly, it exhibits transparency of the business. The integrity of the business depends on the ISO assurance and certificate. The test compliances are essential and effective for producing a world-class product.
Principles of Hazard Analysis Critical Control Points (HACCP)
There are seven principles of the HACCP standard approach. These principles got specified by Codex Alimentarius, 2020. These are –
- Conducting hazard analysis
- Determination or recognition of critical controlling points
- Establishing the maximum and minimum critical limits
- Establishing a monitoring system for CCP management
- Definition of corrective action against deviation from a critical point in the CCP management
- Validation of the corrective HACCP plan and verification steps to ensure better control
- Produce documents validating compliance with regulations and actions
Any business operating in the food industry must consider getting certified by the certification body, IRQS. Think prudently and obtain the ISO 22000 certification for better food safety by implementing a well-defined food safety management system and abiding by the HACCP principles for better monitoring.